THE R3 CHALLENGE
Happening on November 4th & 5th 2017, the Te Whakaora Tangata R3 challenge is a triathlon with a twist! It’s a fun and challenging event for individuals or families (to do together).
“R3” stands for ROW, RIDE and RUN (rowing, cycling, running) – the 3 “R” disciplines you can choose from or combine to knock-out the distance of 100km (or less if you choose) in 48 hours.
The R3 Challenge is a “virtual” event, which means you complete your challenge wherever and whenever you like – raising funds to help Te Whakaora RESTORE, RESOURCE and RECONNECT South Auckland’s most at-risk families. These R’s represent the three strategic aims of our work.
FULL-ON, FUN & FLEXI
The R3 challenge has been designed with maximum fun and flexibility in mind, making sure the challenge is tough enough for individuals wanting to be tested, yet achievable enough for families to be able to do together. There are heaps of options:
- Pick one, two, or all three “R” disciplines to achieve your target distance. How you want to achieve your goal is up to you. You can even add your own discipline if you choose – provided it starts with the letter “R” and doesn’t involve any form of automotive transportation (RIDING in a car, bus, train etc. doesn’t count, but feel free to ROLL on a skateboard or ROW a RAFT down some RAPIDS for a REAL adrenalin RUSH.
- Complete a family or team R3 Challenge and add the total combined distance of each team member to reach your target.
- Instead of a full 100km challenge, you can choose to complete a 50km or 25km R3 challenge as an individual or team.
- Use exercise equipment (at the gym or home) to complete the challenge – rowing machines, treadmills and exercycles will track the distance covered for you. No gym membership? No worries! Auckland Council, YMCA and CLM are supporting the R3 Challenge – providing free access to their facilities to all participants on November 4th and 5th. Registered R3 participants will be sent an access pass so you can Just ROCK on up.
- Not able to do the challenge on the weekend of November 4th & 5th? That’s fine – just pick another weekend in November to tackle it. The only RESTRICTION is you need to complete your challenge within 48hrs.
Te Whakaora Tangata helps to restore, resource and reconnect South Auckland’s most at-risk families. Our vision is to see once vulnerable families living well and children given every opportunity to reach their full potential. We work intensively with 100 high-risk parents every year, directly impacting 250- 350 vulnerable children. Te Whakaora Tangata’s work is faith-based, hope-driven, solution focussed, and addresses the root causes of family dysfunction.